Movement & Music
A movement class that explores elements of dance in a non-pressured, social environment in which music energizes, enriches and empowers. All levels of mobility are welcome. No dance experience is necessary.
The class is a comfortable pace.
A wonderful and innovative program for seniors, retirement living,
assisted living, and memory care communities
The Movement & Music program for retirement living, assisted living and memory care communities is modeled after the internationally acclaimed Dance for PD® (Parkinson's disease) program in which participants explore movement and music in ways that are enjoyable, stimulating and creative.
Dancing Makes You Smarter
The 21-year study of senior citizens, 75 and older, was led by the Albert Einstein College of Medicine in New York City, funded by the National Institute on Aging, and published in the New England Journal of Medicine.
% = Reduced Risk of Dementia
0% in Bicycling, swimming or playing golf
35% in Reading
47% in Doing crossword puzzles at least four days a week
76% in Dancing Frequently
Quoting Dr. Joseph Coyle, a Harvard Medical School psychiatrist who wrote an accompanying commentary: "The cerebral cortex and hippocampus, which are critical to these activities, are remarkably plastic, and they rewire themselves based upon their use."
- Reduces stress and depression.
- Increases energy and serotonin.
- Improves flexibility, strength, balance, endurance.
- Strengthens bones and boosts cardiovascular health.
- Increases mental capacity by exercising our cognitive process.
- Dynamic and rapid-fire decision making, creates new neural paths.
Celebrate Life Through Dance
Ruth Davidson Hahn, professional teacher, choreographer, dancer and a Stanley J. Wertheimer Fellow specially trained in the Dance for PD® method which this program is modeled after.
Participating Lincoln Locations:
- Legacy Retirement Communities
- The Landing at Williamsburg Village
- Savannah Pines Resort Lifestyle Retirement Community
- The Lexington Assisted Living Center
- CountryHouse Residence for Memory Care
- Aging Partners (click here for flyer)
- Grand Lodge at the Preserve
- Brentwood Estates, Independent Living
To schedule a free Movement & Music Presentation and Class Demonstration at your location, or for more information about the program and bringing it to your facility please call 402-540-1242 or email email@example.com
Why Movement & Music?
- Dance develops flexibility and instills confidence.
- Dance is first and foremost a stimulating mental activity that connects mind to body.
- Dance breaks isolation.
- Dance invokes imagery in the service of graceful movement.
- Dance focuses attention on eyes, ears and touch as tools to assist in movement and balance.
- Dance increases awareness of where all parts of the body are in space.
- Dance tells stories.
- Dance sparks creativity.
- The basis of dance is rhythm.
- The essence of dance is joy.
Because Ruth Davidson Hahn & Company is a non-profit organization we need to raise funds for our Movement & Music program. Your tax deductible contribution is greatly appreciated.
Support for this program was made possible through grants from:
DANCE FOR PD is a Registered Service Mark of Mark Morris Dance Group and Brooklyn Parkinson Group
Dance for PD® class Photo by Johan Henckens/MMDG
Copyright ©2016 Ruth Davidson Hahn & Company